In the news – from WORKSAFE
When the victim was driving his mobility scooter in March last year, the scooter tipped on the uneven terrain. He then fell to the ground and was fatally injured.
- A fine of $100,000 was imposed. This was reduced from a starting point of $550,000 for mitigating factors and financial circumstances.
- Reparation of $100,000 was ordered.
- YSB Group Limited was sentenced under sections 36(2), 48(1) and (2)(c) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
- Being a PCBU failed to ensure, so far as was reasonably practicable, the health and safety of other persons was not put at risk from work carried out as part of the conduct of the business or undertaking.
- The maximum penalty is a fine not exceeding $1,500,000.