This is a timely reminder for businesses to take their health and safety systems with them when they move or expand their operations and to treat them as a priority during the move.
Cardinal Logistics Limited after appeared in the Christchurch District Court on Friday, following an incident that left a worker with life-changing injuries.
Key Notes from the case:
- A fine of $354,375 was imposed.
- Reparations of $29,967.78 were ordered, in addition to a voluntary payment of $56,000 prior to sentencing.
- Cardinal Logistics Limited was charged under sections 36(1)(a), 48(1) and (2)(c) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
- Being a PCBU, failed to ensure so far as was reasonably practicable, the health and safety of workers who worked for the PCBU, while the workers were at work in the business or undertaking and that failure exposed the workers to a risk of serious injury arising from the hazard of forklifts operating close to workers.
- The maximum penalty is a fine not exceeding $1,500,000.
Read the full article here.